Monday, December 21, 2009

The Reason for the Season

On yesterday, I witnessed a close friend of mine get baptized! I believe that I was just as excited as she was. As she went through the ceremony, I began to think more about how this moment was what Christmas was about. God gave us his son and Christmas is the celebration of his birth. Well, in some ways I saw the baptism as a birth. It is a birth of one's new spiritual connection to Christ and growth in spirituality. This is the real reason for the season.
In this time of giving of gifts, remember there are more important gifts to be given that can not be bought or found in any store. Give of yourself. Make promises to share your time, your love, your spirit. Wrap it all up in a pretty bow, set it under the tree. I will be so excited when it is unwrapped by loved ones and they see that I've given them something that is irreplacable and could not be "bought" on thier own. What a joy!

No comments: