Monday, January 5, 2009

Do You for YOU

Have you ever heard or seen something that you wanted to run out and tell everyone all about? Today is one of those moments for me. The other day I conferred to my little book of hope, "Faith in the Valley" by Iyanla Vanzant. There was a passage about self- value and self-worth. I reflected on this piece as I thought more about being true to myself and what that really meant. In "Faith in the Valley", Iyanla says, "We try to make everything all right for other people. When they hurt, we to stop their pain. When they need, we do everything in our power to ensure that the need is met." She continues with, "Some of us have a need to be needed. We derive our self-value and self-worth from the things we do for others. Unfortunately, in the doing process we often lose sight of ourselves and our needs. Remember that you set the standards for how you will be treated. People will treat you the exact way you treat yourself." So with that being said, "Be good to you. Take time for yourself. Rest. Play. Shower yourself with affection, support, and gifts. Don't be afraid to be unavailable. Train yourself to know when to say no. Affirm 'I have something to do for myself.'"

To sum it up...Do You for YOU!!! Whatever it may be, just be true to you.

No comments: